The saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. If that’s true then what about the increasingly popular infographic? A quick Google search of the term ‘infographic’ returns over 10 million results. Before we get into how B2B marketers should leverage them, it’s important that we answer 3 questions:
- What are infographics?
- Why are infographics so popular?
- How are infographics important to a B2B marketer?
What Are Infographics?
Infographics (a concatenation of information and graphics) are visual representations of information or data. Sounds pretty simple, so what’s all the fuss? The power of infographics is in their simplicity. A well designed infographic reduces a complex topic down to its key elements, incorporates that information into a story and then tells that story in a visually appealing way that can be readily consumed by the target audience — sounds like a good meal to me.
So what, you may by now be wondering, do these magical pieces of content look like and what stories can they help the B2B marketer? For that look no further than my favorite aggregator site visual.ly where you will find a treasure trove of ideas for infographics. Below is an example from the site of a good patient-focused infographic on bariatric surgery options:
Why Are Infographics Popular?
Infographics have quickly risen through the ranks of popular content types. They have become the darling of B2B marketers in many industries including companies like Eloqua who’s wildly popular infographic The Content Grid V2 has enjoyed upwards of 1,000+ social media shares. There are a number of reasons for the popularity of this medium. The one’s that should resonate most with marketers are how infographics are:
- Part of the rising category of visual storytelling: sites like Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram continue their meteoric growth because of their ability to share images and video. People are pressed for time, content that provides a shortcut to the point wins.
- Able to convey a concept quickly: with the amount of information the average person is exposed to on a daily basis, we simply don’t have time to devote to consuming a long message. Therefore, brevity is an essential requirement to have your message heard.
- Accesible, by making complex concepts easier to convey: if it takes too much concentration to ‘get it’, then most of your audience won’t be reached because they just don’t have the time.
Why Are Infographics Important to a B2B Marketer?
Now that we have established why infographics are popular here is why you, a B2B marketer should care.
- Easily shared socially: made right, people will share the infographic with their network which will further expand the reach of your message.
- Provide and opportunity to drive viewers back to your brand: with built in calls to action (e.g., QR codes, links back to your website, etc.) you will drive traffic back to your brand as the reach of your infographic increases.
- Give you double billing: infographics are usually images that are embedded in blog posts or other web copy. Because of this your infographic, when combined with solid SEM, will show up in Google’s image searches as well as the normal search results.
So how about it — are you intrigued enough to give infographics as try in your next campaign? If so, here are a few resources that may prove useful as you strike out on your creative journey: